June 27, 2014

Flower Shaker Card

I'm submitting this card to two challenges, the JustRite Friday Challenge, whose sketch I roughly followed for this and Simon Says Stamp's Anything Goes challenge.

I started with a hydrangea image I coloured yesterday (JustRite Botanical Medallions and Banners) to test out some new purple Spectrum Noir markers.  I used Copics for the leaves.  I decided to turn that image into a shaker card focal point.

I die cut a piece of light purple cardstock, a piece of clear plastic and 2 pieces of craft foam with the largest 2 dies of JustRite's Nested Ovals Medallions die.  After I separated my pieces I realized I wanted to leave the centre of the plastic piece intact, and so had to cut out a second piece of plastic with only the largest die.  I cut the flower out using the same large die so it would fit the rest of the shaker pieces exactly.

I attached the layers for the shaker using glue for the top and plastic and a tape runner for the other layers (I didn't think glue would properly stick to the foam layers).  One of the foam layers had stretched a bit when I cut it, so I had to trim it a bit so it wouldn't show out the sides.

I filled the shaker using some sequins, glitter and mica flakes.

I took a dark piece of cardstock to layer everything on the card base, adding a small strip of patterned paper.  For the flags from the sketch I substituted greenery I die cut from two Spellbinders dies in complementary shades of bluish green.  I'd originally planned to have some flowers at that side of the shaker, but when I got to this point in making the card I thought that would be overkill.


4 comments:

Teresa Kline said...

hi Jessica! gorgeous, luv the flower! So glad you played along with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

sparkle & shine *~*

Unknown said...

Wow! This is really stunning. Great take on the sketch.

Sheri said...

This is so clever! I have always wanted to try this but it seems so messy - LOL! Looks great though and well worth it!! Thanks for sharing with us at JustRite Inspiration ;-)

Patricia Johns said...

I love this one! Wow, Jess! Gorgeous!